Skip to main content

Teachers' Day

He is my friend…” These were the words of the then principal of my school, Sister Ann George. She had cited these words to my mother, but it would make a lasting impact on my life. Teachers, like my friends, have played an underlying role in defining my existence. My weaned childhood was boorish and ignorant about this fact. However, in retrospection, I do realize this inevitable fact. Sister Ann George remained a friend of mine until the time she served as the principal of my school. An equally significant role was played by Sister Eugenia. Sister Eugenia had the incredible ability of remembering all her students by their names even if she met them after long intervals. Those were my school days; a majority of which I do not wish to reminiscence – purely because of the fact that the majority of these days were neither encouraging nor good enough to remember. However, the few days that have made me what I am today are worth remembering.


In continuum, I recall another teacher who made a lasting impact on my life. She is Mrs. De, our English teacher. She never advanced any special favors to me, in spite of the fact that she was a good friend of my mother (who is also a teacher in the same school). However, her mere presence was encouraging enough for me. I remember looking into her eyes and getting the greatest sense of self-confidence during those days. English as a language was supposed to be my indispensable distinction; considering the fact that this was also a hereditary potential. I remember when Mrs. De came to our class one day and announced that we will be having our Essay Writing competition soon. She said she believed that her students would be the frontrunners; and then she looked at me. I was expressionless, and though she didn’t say anything by words, she had said everything. Yes, I would be one of the frontrunners, I said silently. Then that became history; I was awarded the Certificate of Merit in English Essay Writing competition, and so began my triumphant journey towards success!!

During my days at Aligarh Muslim University, I came across many teachers; and I recollect Dr. Abdul Azeem Islahi sb as one of them who have made a never-eroding effect. Well, the greatest paradox about Islahi sb is that he never taught me (he was never assigned as my official teacher)! When I joined MBA at Hamdard University, I got another teacher of a lifetime; Asad Rehman sb. I respect Asad sir because he is not only a good teacher but also a good philosopher and guide. When I was struggling to get a Summer Industrial Assignment, he was the one who helped me get one. He is one person I have admired when it comes to struggling and achieving heights in one’s career.

I thought of scripting these thoughts while I am watching “Black,” a Bollywood movie about teacher-student relationship between a challenged teacher and a challenged student. “Let her fall, she will rise to greater heights with every fall.” This is what Mr. Sahay (played by Amitabh Bachchan) says to the mother of Michele (played by Rani Mukherjee). And this reminds me of that greatest teacher of my life, my grandmother. No written or spoken words would ever equate what she was for me. She did not give birth to me, but did all other things to ensure that I hold a wholesome and salubrious persona. May Allah grant her a magnificent heavenly abode, Ameen!!

Today would also be the last Teachers’ Day for my mother, as she is resigning from her services on the 15th of this month. I can empathize with my mother, what it means to depart from one so significant role of a life and start anew. “Well, Mummy,” I told her, “you will remain a teacher and will find a special place in all your students in their lives.” Happy Teachers’ Day!!

_______________________________________________________________________________

This post was written on 9/7/2006, when my mother was retiring as a teacher from her school.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WHAT HAS QUALITY GOT TO DO WITH THIS?

“If you don't set a baseline standard for what you'll accept in life, you'll find it's easy to slip into behaviors and attitudes or a quality of life that's far below what you deserve.” -           Anthony Robbins I recently forwarded a press release sent by a premier student organization of the Indian Muslim Community [would be careful not to name it, though] to specific mailing groups. One of the members of one group swiftly remarked – “ Why don’t they do a spell check before they send? ” Candid enough, isn’t it?! This is not an exception; I could exhibit an array of OFFICIAL press releases from another prominent Muslim educational institution that contain typos, spelling errors; even grammatical mistakes. So, what has spell check or quality got to do with press releases? Aren’t they simply meant to convey some happenings? Above all, they are probably doing us a favor in sending the press releases in English; because a majority of Muslim organizations are charact

After Rains, Mumbai Bleeds

T here is something peculiar about Mumbai; the showbiz city of India; well, some would still prefer to call it the Financial Capital or New York of India!!! Some days back, Mumbai was in news with rains flooding the city from one end to the other. Somehow, the city manages to be in the limelight always. However, yesterday’s event (catastrophe?! Tragedy?! Calamity?!) was certainly more astounding, abhorrent, detestable, sordid, heartbreaking … (?! no adjective or adverb would suffice enough) than anything else. Seven serial bomb blasts rocked the entire Western Railway local train route in a span of almost 15 minutes; and Mumbai was bleeding. However, as always, the Mumbaikars (as they proudly call themselves) once again demonstrated their featured and unparalleled unity and fraternity while facing the challenge. Hats off to the Mumbaikars; I feel proud too, I have been a Mumbaikar for almost three months!!

Show of Strength

It happened just a few moments back, when I was having tea at one of the roadside dhabas on Ansari Road, Daryaganj, near my office. We normally take a small break and go out to have tea on the roadside dhabas in the evening. Numerous small shops are also aligned on the roadside, which primarily include automobile technicians, welders, and others alike, who work on denting, painting, and repairing of automobiles. The dhaba in which we have tea is next to a welding shop. I found two people discussing something interesting in this welding shop. One person was saying, “ Humein hi rokte hain; koi topi wale ko zara rok kar dekhayein .” [They always stop us only; they dare not stop the people wearing caps (implying Muslims).] The other person says, “ Haan, musalmanon ko kabhi na rokeinge bina helmet ke, hum Hinduon hi rokte hain aur phir fine maarte hain. Unhein to bolte hain aye jaane de, bachche hain ”. [Yes! They never stop the Muslims who do not wear helmets. Only stop us Hindus, and then